Email MePeter R. Certo Jr.
Mr. Certo is a shareholder at Altick & Corwin. While his practice is diverse, his main emphasis is now on probate litigation. Mr. Certo serves on the Dayton Bar Association probate law committee and has been called to testify as an expert on probate issues. His past experience in complex criminal trial litigation makes him a fierce advocate in contested probate court actions.
He also has a quite impressive background in criminal law. He is well known in southwest Ohio for his skillful handling of major state and federal felony cases, including double homicide, bank robbery, serial rape and major organized drug conspiracy, many of which have been highly publicized. In addition, Mr. Certo handles cases that require the utmost discretion involving white collar criminals. He has also appeared in front of the Ohio supreme court and many Ohio district courts of appeal.
Mr. Certo coordinated and taught the Montgomery county criminal law certification course for many years. In addition, he has served as an acting judge in Dayton and prosecutor in three different jurisdictions.
Mr. Certo is lastly a veteran of well over 2,000 domestic and family law cases he is uniquely qualified to handle almost any action in domestic relations or juvenile court. although he understands most cases need to be amicably resolved to preserve the family foundations, especially if children are involved, when litigation is necessary, his vast civil and criminal trial experience renders him a fierce advocate oh behalf of his clients.
Areas of Practice
- Probate Administration
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Relations Law
- Personal Injury
- Ohio, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1979
- University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio
- J.D. - 1978
- University of Dayton
- B.S. - 1973
- Adjunct Legal Professor, Criminal Procedure, University of Dayton , 1985 - 1986
Honors and Awards
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2009
- Super Lawyers: 2016 and 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dayton, Ohio, Acting Municipal Judge, 1991 - 2002
- Dayton Bar Association, Probate Law Committee
- Dayton Bar Association, Member
- Dayton Bar Association, Criminal Law Section, Chairman, 1991 - 1993
- Dayton Bar Association, Criminal Law Section, Chairman, 1995 - 1997
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Miami Valley Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- City of Oakwood, Acting Prosecutor
- City of Beavercreek, Prosecutor
- Miami Valley Family Law Forum, President and Vice-President, 2000 - 2002
- Life Essentials (guardianship program) , Board Member
- Rebuilding Together Dayton, Board Member
- Dayton Art Institute , former Associate Board Member
- Dayton Bar Association, Ethics Prosecutor