In the midst of the current concerns regarding the coronavirus, we want our clients to know that the Altick & Corwin Co., L.P.A. office is open for business, but we are restricting visitors from coming to our offices.
Appointments are being handled over the telephone or through facetime and other means of communications.
The attorneys and staff are taking all necessary precautions to keep our employees healthy and physically distanced from each other. As far as we know, none of our employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
We encourage clients to continue to call or email our attorneys. If a call goes to the attorney’s voice mail, the attorney will receive an email of that call. Thus, all calls will be able to be returned to you, but please be patient in waiting for the return call.
We will update you as things change, but in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.
Take care and be safe. Thank you.

It is time to think about your company’s new H-1B filings

If your organization is like many in the Dayton area, you need to recruit top talent to meet customer demands. Hiring foreign workers is often an effective way to take your company to the next level. If you can find a student in the United States on an F-1 visa, you may be able to encourage him or her to come work for you. 

Foreign students often obtain F-1 visas to complete undergraduate and graduate programs in the United States. As you may know, though, these individuals often have considerable limitations on their eligibility to work. In fact, most may only work for a short time after graduation. If you want them to work longer, you probably need to file an H-1B petition

H-1B status allows temporary work authorization 

The H-1B visa program allows individuals to work for a U.S. employer for up to three years. The status is generally extendable for an additional three-year period. Unfortunately, though, there are often not enough H-1B visas to go around. That is, U.S. immigration law limits new H-1B filings to 65,000 for those who have a bachelor’s degree. An additional 20,000 slots are available for individuals with a master’s degree from a U.S. school. 

A visa lottery is likely 

The first day your company can file a petition for a new H-1B worker is April 1. You must be ready to go on that day, however. That is, there is a good chance the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will receive more H-1B petitions than there are available slots. This has occurred every year for the past six. If that happens, the USCIS will hold a visa lottery to determine which petitions to process. If your company does not meet the April 1 filing deadline, you may be out of luck until next year. 

Hiring foreign nationals to work in your company may give you the edge you need to beat the competition. If you want to pursue an H-1B visa for a foreign worker, though, you must be ready to file your petition on the first day of April. Waiting too long could cost your company top-notch talent.