In the midst of the current concerns regarding the coronavirus, we want our clients to know that the Altick & Corwin Co., L.P.A. office is open for business, but we are restricting visitors from coming to our offices.
Appointments are being handled over the telephone or through facetime and other means of communications.
The attorneys and staff are taking all necessary precautions to keep our employees healthy and physically distanced from each other. As far as we know, none of our employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
We encourage clients to continue to call or email our attorneys. If a call goes to the attorney’s voice mail, the attorney will receive an email of that call. Thus, all calls will be able to be returned to you, but please be patient in waiting for the return call.
We will update you as things change, but in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.
Take care and be safe. Thank you.

Religious worker immigration

There are many people who come to the Dayton area each year for religious reasons. Some of these people are religious workers. These religious workers are here to be ministers or to be in another type of religious vocation. In order for them to stay and work in the U.S. they need to obtain a visa.

Nonimmigrants who come to the U.S. temporarily as a religious worker can apply for an R-1 visa. To be eligible for this visa, the foreign national needs to be employed at least 20 hours each week by a nonprofit religious organization, a religious organization that is authorized to use a group tax exemption, or a nonprofit religious organization that is affiliated with a religious denomination. This visa is given to religious workers who have dedicated their lives to their religion and does not apply to those who are secular members of the religion. Spouses and family members who are under the age of 21 may be eligible for an R-2 visa. The initial amount of time a person can stay under an R-1 visa is 30 months. An extension may be granted for an additional 30 months. The religious worker cannot stay in the U.S. under an R-1 visa for more than 60 months.

A religious worker who is seeking to come to the U.S. to work may want to speak with a Dayton area attorney who is skilled in immigration. An attorney understands that the immigration process can be complicated in the U.S. with many visa requirements that need to be met. Many visa applications are rejected because of incomplete or inaccurate information, which makes hiring an attorney even more valuable.

A visa application should not be left to chance. An attorney can help their client obtain the necessary visas for the extended stay in the U.S. and make sure they understand the requirements for the visa.