What Should You Do After An Accident?
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may not know what to do. It can be scary and stressful, especially if you or another party has been injured. Even at this nerve-wracking time, however, it is to your benefit to remember what to do after an accident to protect your case.
Key Steps To Take After An Accident
After an accident, follow the recommended steps below to protect your health, financial interests and potential personal injury claim.
- Do not drive away. No matter how minor an accident may seem, do not leave the scene without speaking to the police.
- Call the police. Their report is crucial to proving the validity of your claim.
- Ask for the other party’s information. This includes name, insurance provider, policy number and license plate number.
- Never apologize for the accident. Even if the accident was not your fault, you may be tempted to express sympathy toward the other party. Do not apologize for anything, or this may be taken as an admission of fault.
- Take pictures of the scene. If possible, take photos of the accident scene, property damage for both cars and visible injuries with your phone.
- Do not sign any documents. The other party’s insurance company might offer you a payment, but do not accept it without first speaking with your lawyer. It may not cover the full compensation that you need and deserve.
- Seek medical attention. Regardless of whether you have a visible injury, you should be examined by a medical professional. You need an official record of the accident’s impact on your health.
You should always call a lawyer as soon as possible when you are involved in an accident. He or she will be able to provide additional tailored advice given your situation.
Discuss Your Accident With An Experienced Lawyer
Our team has decades of combined experience in Ohio. We are ready to work on your behalf for a favorable outcome. To speak with one of our attorneys, call our Dayton office at 937-608-9460 or toll free at 888-542-3148. You may also contact Altick & Corwin online.